”Since I was a kid I have dreamed to fly. I was closing my eyes and felt like floating over mountains, valleys, discovering new worlds. The deep abyss and the infinite height have always fascinated me. Finally, I got to fly in space. Accomplished dreams are like a circle of light on the life tree, a beneficial irradiation. In the outer space, your familiar universe is no longer house, street, neighbours, but the home planet itself. The Earth, besides its physical dimension, which you may directly appreciate at its true value and grandeur, also has a moral dimension. From a cosmic flight you return more confident with yourself, more mature, closer to people and nature, with a more comprehensive vision on terrestrial phenomena and activities. Although you are not alone in the spacecraft, the loneliness up there is a strong feeling. You feel suddenly torn apart from your natural habitat, where you were born and raised.” (Dumitru-Dorin Prunariu)
- Born in the city of Brașov, Romania, on 27 September 1952.
- Graduated Liceul de Cultură Generală nr. 4 High School (currently the “Grigore Moisil” National College)
- In 1976 he graduated the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering of the University Politehnica of Bucharest
- 1977-1978 joined Romanian Air Force and was selected for the astronauts training program.
- 1981, after years of training in the Stellar City, Lt. maj. Dumitru-Dorin Prunariu is selected as one of two members of the crew of the Soyuz 40 mission; the flight lasts for 8 days, and Dumitru-Dorin Prunariu is responsible for a series of scientific experiments; the spacecraft lands successfully in Kazakhstan.
- Romania was the 9th country in the world with an astronaut.
- After the mission, Dumitru Prunariu returned to Romanian Air Force, and in the same time served as lecturer at the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering in Bucharest.
- In 1990 he was promoted in rank of colonel, on a one and a half years mission at the Ministry of Transport to serve as Deputy Minister of Transports and Head of Civil Aviation Department.
- In 1990, together with other experts in astronautics, he presented the project of the Romanian Space Agency to the Romanian Government.
- In 1991 he graduated the course for superior experts in the International Aviation Management Training Institute
- In 1999 he published his PhD thesis on Space Flight Dynamics.
- Between 1990-2000 he participated at the reform process of the Romanian education system.
- In 2004 he was Romania’s ambassador in the Russian Federation.
- He is the author of many publications and books on astronautics.
- He is an active member of the international scientific community.
According to the Decision of the Board of Directors of the UPB No. 14, from 11.03.2020, during the period 11-31.03.2020 the didactic activities will take place on-line. More details in the course forums at: http://aero.curs.pub.ro
Two job vacancies were announced by the Irish Aviation Authority, deadline 10 March 2020. Our graduates have been successful with their application at IAA in the past, so there is some goodwill gathered by our Alumni. <Details>
This year the student scientific session will be held on Friday, May 8, 2020. E. Carafoli Department will organize section 09-01 Aircraft, Propulsion Systems and Air Navigation. N. Tipei Department will organize 09-02 Aviation Equipment, Facilities and Aviation...
After 9 years, tomorrow, 18.02.2020, a new interview will take place with Mr. Conf. Petrișor Valentin Pârvu regarding the activity related to UAVs in the Faculty of Aerospace Engineering. The interview 9 years ago took place at the show Science Cafe, transmitted from...
We are pleased to invite faculty and interested students to attend the International Conference: INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ENERGY, ENVIRONMENT AND STORAGE OF ENERGY ICEESEN 2020, Kayseri, Turkey Why this conference? relatively small participation fee: 350EUR for...
Submission of applications by February 21 The representativeness of the students in the university is an essential component in the management structures. The students are decision-making partners, so the choice of representatives and their active involvement in the...
ALTEN Delivery Center Bucharest, subsidary of the French Group ALTEN, leader in engineering and technology continues its involvement in the academic community and its support of the new generations of engineers by organizing of a new session of the CATIA Lab,...
Fokker Academy was established in March 2017, in the wake of signing the Partnership between UPB Faculty of Aerospace Engineering and GKN Fokker Engineering Romania. In the Fokker Academy, our students learn to design directly from highly experienced engineers,...
The 44th edition of the Summer School Alpbach will be held from 14 to 23 July 2020, the topic of the 2020 edition is “ Comparative Plasma Physics in the Universe". University students and young graduates have until 31 March 2020 to apply. Held annually since 1975 in...
NMAS 2020 20 - 21 May 2020, Bucharest, Romania Workshop will be held in Bucharest, at INCAS, B-dul Iuliu Maniu no. 220, sector 6 To the Participants: Professors, engineers, researchers and interested students are invited to participate in the 8th...